As a homeowner you know what a thermostat is, it’s that little box that sits on your wall. For some people they think the only way to cool your home is to crank that thing down to 68 degrees. What most people don’t know is that you can save money and cool, heat and maintain the temperature in your home by learning to use it correctly…
Here are some tips to help you save more than $150 a year on your energy bill by correctly adjusting your thermostat.
Don’t Run Your System When No One Is Home
- If you are like most homeowners, you are away from your home at least eight hours a day and asleep for another eight. If you are paying to heat and cool your home to the same temperature all day long, you have not taken full advantage of your programmable thermostat.
- According to ENERGY STAR, you can reduce your yearly energy bill by as much as $180 every year by installing and using a programmable thermostat.
- By keeping your thermostat at a higher level during the day you are able to keep the air conditioning from automatically cooling a house down that no one is occupying. You can also keep it on for an hour or so when you get home until the temperature outside cools thus minimizing the length of time your system is running.
Give Your Air Conditioner and Heater a Vacation
- When you go on vacation, or are away from home a day or more, give your air conditioner or heater a break, too. Programmable thermostats have a vacation setting or hold button that allows you to override its pre-programmed settings. Again, this minimizes the time your system is on and reduces your energy bill.
- By making sure your heater and air conditioner run only minimally while you are gone, you can increase your energy savings even more.
Get in the Zone
- Many homes in the New Berlin area have zoned heating and air conditioning systems. If your home comfort system is zoned, install a programmable thermostat in each zone and enjoy the maximum amount of energy savings. If your home is not zoned, this is a great option to maximize your Air Conditioner and Heater while reducing your energy bills.
New Berlin Heating is here to answer any questions or concerns you may have. One of our employees would be happy to explain the benefits of a programmable thermostat so that you can lower the energy bill in your home.
Contact Us Today! 262-784-8889