Going on a summer vacation this year? We sure hope so – we all need to get some R & R time! Before you leave on vacation this summer, take the time to prep your home’s HVAC system to operate properly while you are gone. If you are away for weeks at a time and keep your air conditioning equipment running without a thorough maintenance check-up, problems can occur that may lead to costly repairs. Following are some tips to help you prepare your cooling system while you are gone. You can do some of these tips yourself, but having a professional HVAC contractor conduct a thorough system check a is the best way to get peace of mind, while lowering your cooling bills.
- Change out your air filter. A dirty filter will slow down the airflow and dust will build up on the evaporator coil that could lead to it freezing up. With a frozen coil, the outdoor condenser will run continually, driving up your cooling costs. It can also burn out the compressor and create indoor water damage when the frost melts as a result of the water not draining fast enough.
- Clear debris, vegetation, grasses, etc. from the outdoor compressor/condenser. The outdoor unit runs most efficiently when nothing is close to it.
- Clean the fins and coils inside the condenser’s housing with a garden hose and a mild cleanser spray.
Here are some additional items you can expect an HVAC contractor to do when inspecting your system:
- Clean the electrical connections.
- Measure the refrigerant pressure and look for leaks if itÕs low, and then add the right amount to ensure you get the cooling needed.
- Inspect and clean the interior parts, including the evaporator coil and heat exchanger.
- Check the blower belt and tighten it, if needed.
- Measure the airflow at the blower and at the ducts. Duct leaks will make your system work harder and increase your energy bills.
- Inspect the drainpipe and drain pan to ensure no water damage will occur from any air conditioner overflow.
- Check and calibrate the thermostat.
If you would like to schedule maintenance before you leave on your vacation, call New Berlin Heating & Air Conditioning. Whether you need standard service or AC repair for your Waukesha home, we will give you the peace of mind to help make your vacation as stress-free as possible.