Fall is here officially in 2 days! Here are some great Fall Maintenance Tips:
General guidelines for keeping your home’s warmth and efficiency:
- Have New Berlin professionally inspect your home’s duct and cooling equipment.
- Set your thermostat to 68°F when you’re at home and awake, and as low as 60°F when you’re asleep or awake.
- Clean or replace your furnace filters every month.
- Clean chimney and check to see if your fireplace is working correctly.
- Seal any air leaks in the attic, basement and crawlspace, and especially around windows and doors.
- Insulate windows with heavy-duty, clear plastic. Kits are available at most hardware stores.
- Check your attic for proper insulation. Remember than insulation should never be compressed for optimal value.
- Close shades and curtains at night and keep them open during the daytime
- Clean windows on the south side of your house to maximize sunlight exposure.
- Add weather-stripping to doors that lead to the exterior or to cold
- Wrap and insulate waterlines to prevent them from freezing.
- Repair leaky faucets.
Extra steps you can take to save energy:
- Install a programmable thermostat which will allow you to set different temperatures throughout the day and night.
- Insulate the water tank and first six feet of hot and cold water pipes connected to the unit.
- Lower the temperature of your water heater to 120°F (for every 10-degree decrease in temperature,
- you may save 3% – 5% on your energy costs).
- Install rubber gaskets behind outlets and use switch plates on exterior walls.
- Install low-flow showerheads.
Things you can do to improve air quality and reduce potential health risks:
- When adjusting clocks, change batteries in smoke alarms, as well as radon and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Consider a ventilation system such as an exchanger to increase air circulation inside your home, and add a healthy dose of fresh air.
- Clean water-damaged carpets and materials, or consider replacement.
- Reduce the potential for buildup of allergy-causing pollutants by keeping your house clean
- Take special precaution when operating fuel-burning appliances to avoid leakage.
- Store and dispose of household chemicals in a safe manner.
If you’re interested in our Maintenance Plan, please give us a call today! (262) 784-8889 or visit us online at newberlinheating.com